Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Even less than "Communications"

Bullocks to all those claiming that our higher education system works.

UC Berkley has introduced a Starcraft Studies course. That's right, the 1998 video game is a college course now.

Students will learn about the theory of the battles and learn the computational strategies. When I first heard about this, I kinda hoped that it would have some relevance to the real world. Sadly, it doesn't seem to. It's all about the game.

Now don't get me wrong, I would have jumped at the chance to play Starcraft for a college course. Lord knows I wasted enough study time playing it's predecessors, Warcraft I and II. However, I just wonder at the implications. It's no wonder our education system is laughed at by the world.

I love that "Calculus and Differential Equations are highly recommended for full understanding of the course". Gotta make it sounds useful somehow. Truly, I can't think of any better use for my damned calculus classes.

Note: Oops. This isn't true - just a Berkely "Decal Class", apparently a student wishlist type of thing. I knew it was too good to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds really stupid... but I wonder if Calculus etc. really are necessary to understand the course. Depending on how detailed they get on build trees and how the AI calculates shortest routes to their next objective etc. it could get VERY Math-y fast. Since they have an entire semester, I actually assume it WILL get that bad. I know my eyes glaze over whenever someone who obviously plays a lot more than I ever did/will starts talking about angles to resources etc. and I'm a Math major for pitysakes.

Roland Deschain said...

*FINALLY*.
Someone I can look down on other than the philosophy majors. ;-)

(points at class)

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRDS!!!!

:-D