Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Baggage Claim Etiquette


OK, so Sunday night I picked my wife up at the airport and noticed something while we were waiting for her bags. We were standing in the baggage claim, maybe two feet from the carousel, and a couple walked up and stood directly in front of us. Now, there was a crowd gathering around the carousel, but there were definitely other spots available, some not 6 feet from where we were standing. I didn't think too much of it at first, and we moved to a clear spot and continued our conversation about her trip (once again, standing a couple of feet from the carousel). Not a minute later, another couple came and stood in front of us without a word.

My question is this...am I wrong to think that I shouldn't have to stand against the carousel to be able to have a clear view of the bags coming down the line? Plus it seems to me that a simple, "Excuse us" would have been out of the question either.

1 comment:

Mun Mun said...

Hello, Giant Walrus Noises,
The way people swarm around the baggage carousel irks me. Whether or not it is crowded, it makes sense for people to leave some space so other people can retrieve the bags that come out first on the conveyer belt.

Of course as my travelling companion pointed out, people that will not leave space for other people to get their bags, run the risk of getting an elbow or bag in the face.