Wednesday, February 28, 2007

4-Wheel Derision

Well, to begin with, we got more gorram snow yesterday. UGH...

Anyway, by the time I was heading home the roads were pretty slick - not horrible, but definitely needed to be careful.

As most Colorado drivers can attest to, it's pretty common to be driving on a slick road and have a machismo jerk in a big truck pass you at about twice the safe speed. I'm pretty sure that what's going through their heads is "I'm in a 4X4, I won't get stuck - it's like driving on dry pavement for me. I can pass these losers that are too scared to go 65 mph". I always want to stop them, and give them a basic physics lecture (bigger vehicle = more mass = harder to STOP). Of course I would only have to follow them for a while and wait until they do lose control...

Case in point. Last night on my way home I passed a truck on it's side in the middle of the road. I'm not talking a little Toyota truck here, I'm talking a Ford F-250 dualie, extended cab. Fortunately, no one seemed to be hurt - the police were just showing up as I passed.

I know it's horrible, but it made me laugh. I just know the bonehead was taking the turn off Morrison and lost control. I have to wonder what he/she is thinking today. Is it "Wow, I guess if I suck at driving in the snow, it doesn't matter how big a truck I have" or "That was a fluke I'll be fine the next time I take a corner on ice at 30mph." Unfortunately probably the latter, and hopefully next time they're lucky enough to avoid any injuries, to themselves and others...

No comments: