Friday, March 2, 2007

Mythbusting, home-style!

Last night during our weekly trivia at Buffalo Wild Wings, a friend decided to try the hottest flavor they have "Blazin' Hot". Being a sucker, I decided to try one too, much to my distress. While I was sweating and drinking a gallon of water, I decided to try a tip I had heard about.

Supposedly vodka is a great relief to spicy foods. The theory being the vodka dissolves the spicy oil that sticks to your tongue.

By the time my vodka got to the table, the pain from my first wing was mostly gone. So I had no other choice but to order another taste of the Blazin'. I figured I was on a mission for science, and who was I to stand in the way of scientific progression.

So I endured another bout of liquid hell that is Blazin' sauce. Once I had finished the wing, I immediately took half the vodka shot and swished it around my mouth. I repeated this until the vodka was gone (a shot's worth).

I have to say, this whole idea is total bunk. Not only did the pain not go away, it magnified the pain. I was teary-eyed for a few minutes (I'm man enough to admit I cried like a little girl). The burning from the hot sauce was bad enough, but the vodka turned it into some liquid evil from the fourth dimension - all concentrated on my tongue.

Looking back, I suppose it's really not too surprising. Insane heat from a hot sauce and the unpleasant burning of rubbing alcohol all at once - so much for common sense.

Conclusion: Can vodka relieve the burning sensation from a hot sauce?

BUSTED

There were suggestions that I test a third wing with milk, but there's a limit even I'll go to for science.

Now I'm off to find the guy that told me about this and "thank" him for his suggestion....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard that if you have dry eyes that lemon juice provides much better relief than saline solution or over the counter eye solutions.

Also, if you iron your sac it relieves itching.

Sangediver said...

Yeah, fool me once...