Wednesday, March 14, 2007

I axe ya, how farz we gotsta go?

Today I heard a rumor about some changes to the dictionary for a particular word. The word in question is "library" and the addendum was in its pronunciation.

Apparently enough people are pronouncing "library" as "libary" that the dictionary needed to add a pronunciation note to the definition. Here's the link to the definition on dictionary.com (scroll down a bit - it's right under definition number 9).

There are links to words such as "colonel", "February" and "governor", some of which I myself am guilty of mispronouncing regularly (one due to a friend's name)- but that doesn't mean it should have an official notation!

I have yet to check a new printed dictionary to see if this exists somewhere else than an online dictionary, but plan to as soon as I can.

Anyway, this really bugs me. Are we to the point that we're going to redefine our language to suit the lazy?

Is there an addendum to "sandwich" - "pronounced by some as "sammich" - noun
1. a yummy snack or meal made with meat, peanut butter, Nutella or other tasty snacks between two slices of bread.

How about pretend - pertend, etcetera - eKsetera, picture - pitcher, prescription - perscription or the presidential favorite: nuclear - nucyuler

I will announce (annunce) my apology if Webster's changes any of these after this blog is posted...

1 comment:

DrHeimlich said...

I'm with you -- no accomodating the lazy. I'll go ballistic if "nook-ya-ler" becomes accepted pronunciation. Pun not intended.