Thursday, March 8, 2007

Strange ads

Yesterday morning, on my way to work, I heard an advertisement that made me go "Hmmm..."

It was an add for food stamps. The advertisement's premise was that "You too may qualify for Food Stamps. Isn't that great news?" It makes it sound like anyone in almost any walk of life could get food stamps.

This raised a few questions in my mind:

Does the welfare department really need to advertise? Are there people that can't afford food that don't know about the food stamp program? Should we be telling those that are getting by with their current income that they might qualify for food stamps?

Don't get me wrong, welfare and food stamps have their place. Everyone needs help once in a while, but I feel that the welfare program is already abused. Are advertisements for those that may not truly need it necessary?

If there's a surplus of funds in the welfare program, shouldn't it go other places? Maybe the agencies in charge of these programs are finding themselves with less to do? Seems to me they should reduce the program and divert the monies to other programs (schools, police, roads) instead of trying to drum up more people to use the food stamps.

Maybe there are other factors I'm missing. Maybe I just caught a slight case of conservatism. the world may never know...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You heartless jerk! :o)

I feel the same way when I see those advertisements for the Children's Hospital. Don't people donate hugh amounts of dough to them? Did they really give you their money so you could put adverts on TV? Do people with sick/hurt children really need to be TOLD to take them to the hospital?

Anonymous said...

Ummm... hugh=huge. Perhaps Hugh donates a lot too?

hotdrwife said...

My favorite experience was standing in the grocery store line behind a woman who was paying with food stamps, and had really nice fake nails and was chatting on her cell phone.

Anonymous said...

As a bleeding heart (yet fiscally responsible) liberal, I agree with you 100%.

Kath

(FOHDW)