Tuesday, September 4, 2007

No really I'm fine..

Thanks to everyone for the good thoughts over this weekend. I promise I'll move away from doom and gloom on the blog soon.

However, this weekend has made me very aware of something in our society. I have been asked a thousand times, "How are you?" by complete strangers. Every time I walked into a Starbucks, grocery store, or restaurant I was asked how my weekend was going and of course I answered "Great!". I know that this is nothing new, but I found it interesting that I would respond with a "I'm doing good" without a pause.

It made me start to think. I know that they really don't care. I know I don't really want to know how someone's life is when they walk into our shop. I find it interesting that we've moved away from a simple "Hi" to a false impression of caring about each other's lives.

I say false because I know that if I were to tell them how I was really doing, I'd get a strange look and a response of "Oh" or "Sorry" or "Huh...What can I do for you?" We like to ask, but we don't really want to know.

Anyway, it's just something that made me go "Hmmm", and this is supposed to be my random thoughts right? Though I do think I'm going to try to only ask if I want to know, just my little contribution to a better society...

1 comment:

hotdrwife said...

I think you should answer honestly. If it means keeping you off the nearest bell tower in a high powered rifle, of course.

Speaking of, that's gonna be cured for me tomorrow with beer. We still on?