Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Network "Solutions"

Lately I've been looking for a while to register a unique domain name for a personal site. I've done a lot of searching and trying random word combinations for something interesting. I've also done some shopping and research about who to register the site with, once I do make up my mind.

After everything, I can tell you whom I won't be registering with. Network Solutions seem to offer the same functions for searching for available domains, but with a devious twist. After you check if a site is available through their site, they put a hold on it for 5 days. This means that you have no choice but to register it through them during that period.

According to NSI, they are doing this to protect consumers from front running. A good story, but I find it hard to believe that it has nothing to do with forcing unknowing consumers to register through them. A shady practice to say the least. Let's say you want to go to a movie. You jump on Fandango.com and look up showtimes at the closest theater. Suddenly you find out that you can't go to any other theater to see the same movie AND you have to buy it through Fandango - unless you want to wait five days to see it. Does that seem wrong to anyone else?

IMHO, this is simple cybersquatting, albeit a low calorie version. Not only do they have these questionable practices, but NSI is more expensive than a lot of the other registrars out there. Of course, this makes sense when they have a captive audience.

Thanks to Webbalert for the links, and kudos to her for calling NSI on their cyber ethics, while at the same time taking their money for advertising on her site. No wonder I love her...

No comments: