Friday, January 18, 2008

A short call

A few weeks ago I picked up Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. I haven't played many of the other games in the series, so I don't have a lot to compare it to. However, I can say that's it frelling intense. The game immerses you in combat enough that a few times I found my heart beating harder. Of course that could be simply being out of breath from going downstairs to for a drink.

The visuals in it are amazing, but in a subtle way. Sighting down some of the guns slightly blurs out the surrounding area, which makes for a unique experience.

The AI is the best part of the game. I've seen some of them draw my fire while others break off and try and flank me. They'll throw my grenades back at me (bastards), they've been wounded and will wait till I pass to shoot me from the ground, they've doubled back and caught me from behind. The game is frakking HARD. The story is captivating and keeps you up to play a little more. A few times I even found myself a disturbed by the what happens.

My biggest problem is that it's short, damn short. Single player took me less than 6 hours on the "Hard" setting. I was actually surprised it was over as I watched the credits roll. I kept thinking, "That can't be all." But it was.

However, as short as it is, I loved it. I can't wait to try it on the hardest setting. It's the first game that made me wonder how real soldiers handle actual combat. Don't get me wrong, I know that I'm just playing a video game, I also know that it's no comparison to real life. I can say that this is the closest I want to be to real combat, and my hat goes out to those that are the real thing.

Though it's entirely possible I'm just a pansy...

No comments: