Friday, January 11, 2008

Trivial?

Last night during our weekly trivia game there was a question about European Geography. "Besides Austria & Slovenia, what are the other two countries that border Italy to the North?"

It made me chuckle that basic geography is considered trivia. Knowing where two major European countries are ranks as high as what Brittany was arrested for last week. While I know that most Americans are woefully undereducated (I'm a proud product of public education myself), I have to wonder what someone from France or Switzerland would think (OK, I really don't care what the French think - scratch that first one).

For the record, I wasn't entirely sure about the answer, fortunately our team has much smarter people than myself. I'm usually there as the support team with contributions such as "good answer" and "Sounds good to me." and "Another beer please."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I'm taking this post way to literally... but it depends on how you define "trivial".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/trivial

If you look at the first definition, your post is spot on, but one could still argue that the geography of Europe could be considered trivial from a "basic human needs" standpoint of "does it help get food, shelter, or laid".

If you look at the second definition it is certainly knowledge that you consider ordinary or commonplace.

If you look at the third definition it would be hard to apply it to this discussion (unless you're one of those freaky biologist people).

If you look at the forth definition (after you are done basking in the perfect glow of pure Mathematics) the (b) definition of immediately evident seems to fit your stance as well.

Sorry for the book... it was just a good opportunity to talk about the perfection of Mathematics (and, you know, bash on biology).

-No One You Know

Roland Deschain said...

Ask someone from Slovenia what states border Colorado and see if they know it off the top of their head. ;-)

And I'll tell you that Britany was arrested for holding her children hostage before I ever consider France a major European country. hehe!

Sangediver said...

Frakking over-literal math people.

And you're goving us biologists a hard time and leaving the communications "major" alone?

For shame...