Thursday, January 10, 2008

Shaking with apprehension

Apparently the writers aren't the only thing missing from Hollywood. Unknown to the public there's another crisis in Tinseltown. It seems that there's shortage of tripods.

I want to kill filmmakers that feel that using a handicam is "edgy". While it worked with The Blair Witch, it's gotten old now. Prime example, The Bourne Series. With each movie, the director started using a handicam more and more. The Bourne Ultimatum was barely tolerable. While I kind of understand the effect of using a handicam during action sequences, it's totally unnecesary when the characters are talking at a table. Besides, I frankly think it's a cop out during action and fight sequences - you don't actually have to choreograph anything, just have the actors move a lot and shake the camera around.

And now I have a dilemma, I HATE watching movies that are shot this way, but I'm very curious about Cloverfield. I have a sneaky suspicion that J.J Abrams is using this "Edgy" style to avoid having to actually show the monster that everyone runs from.

In the end I'll probably still go see it, I'll just get an empty the popcorn bag in case I need it when I get violently ill. Fair warning to anyone I may see this with...

2 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

Oh, go back to your easy chair and watch The View. ;-)

Sangediver said...

Ouch.

Damned kids and their new fangled filming styles...