Monday, January 14, 2008

Too many spoons Ted

I'm not one to make a big stink out of the improper use of the term "ironic." There are plenty of those people on Fark and elsewhere to do that for me (it amazes me that anyone uses the "Irony" tag). Hell, I love quoting Alanis Morisette to the people that do just to watch the anger rise.

Anyway, I was reading a magazine article about the shortage of seafood when I came across the following sentence. "It's ironic that we're literally running out of seafood at a time when it has never been so popular."

Normally I would just chuckle and move on, but this kind of bothers me. This was in an article written by, presumably, a professional writer. Shouldn't he know better? I know the term is misused constantly, but usually by bloggers and message board posters. IMHO, A professional should have a better grasp on the term. I'm not asking for perfect usage all the time, but at least somewhere in the ballpark.

Maybe I'm way off base (I'll let those with a communication "degree" correct me), but this is a direct relationship - More people eating seafood means less seafood available. He doesn't even misuse it in a "normal" way, nothing coincidental, improbable, or even strange here.

I won't even start with his use of "literally"...

3 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

Can a discussion of irony be ironic?

Just checkin. :P

Sangediver said...

No, but a song called Ironic with incorrect examples of irony would be...

hotdrwife said...

I hated that damn Alanis song.

And for whatever it's worth, I read the quote and immediately went for "literally".