Thursday, January 17, 2008

Wii-compression

Being a dive professional I'm always curious about SCUBA related books, movies and games. Turns out that a scuba game is coming out soon for the Wii. OK, maybe "game" is the wrong word, it's really more of a diving simulator.

It's called Endless Ocean, and frankly, it looks...different. From what I can tell players catalogue fish, take pictures of them, find treasure all the while exploring the fictional Manaurai Sea. I loved the clip of petting a great white, which is actually pretty realistic, they're just big puppy dogs. No really they are.

This "game" is worth checking out, but from what I've seen it seems, well, boring. Maybe I'm biased by actually diving regularly, it's possible that it's a decent "game" and I've unfairly prejudged it. It just seems there's not much worthy of a video "game". There are no terrorists, aliens, Nazis or zombie dolphins present. Not that these are required for a good game (this may appeal to the Sims folk), but having some task or goal is required to be entertaining. I'm all for giving non-divers a feel for diving, but this also may give them a boring view of diving as accurate as it may be (it's rare that someone has attempted to cut my hoses or shoot me with a spear gun).

Anyway, I'm curious enough to try it. Not buy it mind you, but try it. Should make for a good Yahtzee review though...

No comments: