Thursday, July 24, 2008

E3 wrapup

E3 ended on Friday and this is lining up to be a pretty great season for video games.

Mirrors Edge is a unique game based on free running. When I first heard about this game I thought, "Great, what's next? A game about wogging? After seeing the game played, and reading more about it, I'm pretty excited about it. It's technically a first person game, but the emphasis is on athletics and evasion, not shooting. You can pick up weapons, but you'll be penalized with slower movement, the game encourages you to drop the guns.

Project Origin is a sequel to F.E.A.R. and looks pretty cool, if not very revolutionary. Although you do get to drive a mech!.

Of course there are two big titles that I can't wait for, Spore and Starcraft II. These look even better after seeing some more of the games. Now if they can both find a release date sometime this year.

Rise of the Argonauts also holds some promise for me. I've always been a closet fan of the Jason & the Argonuats movies (Sinbad too), so the storyline is right up my alley. Rise is about the Jason's mythical adventures. Gameplay seems to be similar to the God of War series.

I hate to say this, but I'm actually excited about the Star Wars: Clone Wars - Lightsaber Duels on the Wii. Please, PLEASE, PLEASE don't suck. The Wii was made for a lightsaber game, but that by itself won't make a good game.

Speaking of Star Wars games, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Force Unleashed. This game looks incredible and is also available on the Wii. Again, I hope I'm not going to be disappointed by LucasArts yet again.

Basically, tte rest of this year is looking to be a lonely one for my wife...

No comments: