Sunday, July 13, 2008

Share THIS road.

Today I was driving along Belleview where the bike path crosses the road. A group of bicyclists had stopped and were resting on the path, except two. Two of them were in the middle of the right lane of traffic. As I approached, they looked up at me and then proceeded to turn to each other and resume their conversation. They even had the nerve to give me a dirty look when I only moved out of the lane far enough to not run them over (probably a little closer than I should have been).

Also today, I was coming out of a parking lot and a biker turned in, heading right towards me - in the one-way exit lane. Again I received a dirty look because I didn't stop and let her pass.

Now, I have no problem sharing the road with most bicyclers. I understand that the pavement is softer and is easier to bike on than concrete. I get that, and most of the time I'm fine with it. I do, however, have a problem with bikers that believe they have the right of way at all times. I can't be the only one that knows that when a bicycle is on the road, they're considered a vehicle, and must obey traffic laws. More than that though, where's the consideration?

Or does such a thing exist anymore?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was dropping my wife off at work and was trying to get back into traffic on a one-way street and I almost got into an accident with a cyclist... who was riding the WRONG WAY down the one-way street (where there is not a bike lane at all BTW). And just like you, I got the dirty look as if I should be paying more attention.

That's one of those times where if I splatter someone over the road I could still sleep at night with a crystal-clear conscience. I was actually sorry I missed after I got the dirty look (not really, but I would love to see the look I got after he flipped over my car... or the look he got when the cop gave HIM the ticket).

You would think that even if common-courtesy doesn't provoke better behavior in cyclists the tiniest bit of common-sense or self-preservation would. After all, I think even mouth-breathers can predict the "winner" in every accident.

Sangediver said...

You'd think. I think common sense goes out the window since they're biking and being environmentally conscience you frikkin eco-terroristic fascist! That's gives them the moral high ground, there's no need for it