Sunday, March 30, 2008

Drowning In Absurdity

After a long day of travelling back to the states, I have noticed a few things about my fellow travellers. There are a lot of stupid people out there (a shocking discovery I know). I don't mean those that don't travel a lot and are simply unaware of certain things. I can live with them, there's a lot of BS rules out there that travelers have to abide with. Most of which don't actually increase security, just make us "feel" that we're safer. But I digress...

On our final flight home there was a passenger that had a serious shortage of common sense. He was the only person I've seen on a plane get out of his seat during landing. I'm not saying that he got up after the steward made the "We're now landing" announcement. Oh, no. This Midvale grad stood up and started to get his baggage out of the overhead compartment about 2 minutes before we touched down. He even had the nerve to look shocked that the steward politely yelled at him, and made it all worse by leaving one of the overhead compartments open when he decided to sit back down. Is it me or is this more than simple ignorance of airline procedures? Does this sound rational to anybody out there that hasn't flown or is this just plain stupidity?

The security line is my favorite source of airport humor. I always get a kick out of watching people herded through the lines and told over and over to comply in various ways. If you haven't been at DIA for a while, they've borrowed from the ski slopes in an attempt to make the lines go smoother. They now have a "Black Diamond" lane that is for those that travel regularly and are aware of the security procedures. Theoretically this makes that line move faster for more experienced travelers. I'm by no means an expert traveler, but I know what to take out of my bags, what to take off and what not to have in my carry-on bags. Even so, I was hesitant to use the line, call it a little case of self doubt. There was one lady however, that apparently thought she qualified. Of course she had to be stopped four times for various things like taking her shoes off and trying to take a bottle of water in, just to name a couple. It was pretty apparent she either was too stupid to see the huge ass black diamond sign that explained who should use that line or too stupid to remember what the security rules are.

My verdict for both people is guilty. Both are too stupid to travel. Or course it could just be I was irritable from a 20+ hour travel day...

No comments: