Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Get me my sammich!

A few weeks ago, Starbucks started advertising that they were soon to have breakfast sandwiches. While they looked great, I had mixed emotions about this. On one hand I was excited that I could grab breakfast right next door (did I mention they looked really good). On the other, I spend too much at Starbucks already.

Well they were supposed to start Saturday. Apparently corporate pulled the sandwiches at the last minute. So here I am missing something that I've never had, nor shouldn't have (both monetarily and "dietarily")

The best part is that apparently corporate decided that the sandwiches would "Take away from the coffee sales." W...T...F?

I can see that having a good breakfast food might take away from the pastry sales, but the coffee sales? Don't most people go there for the coffee, and offering another item to buy is a good thing (it's called an "add on sale" look it up people). Wouldn't most people get a coffee, tea or something with the gorram sandwich? Why would the corporate bungholes in Seattle want to spite me by keeping a tasty sammich from me!?!?!?

Anyway, the number crunchers are saying that the average store will lose $35,000 in sales at first, but it "should" come back. This isn't taking into account the thousands each store spent to get the flyers and menu cards printed up. How does that math work? I'm no math wiz (beat you to it Snarky), but that don't seem to add up. Starbucks has posted a loss the last few years and this is part of their strategy to reverse that trend.

Gee, how about not charging $5 for a cup of milk and 2 ounces of coffee? Am I the only one that took a basic economic course? Shouldn't companies drop prices when demand drops? I guess if you're the dominant force in a market, that gives you the feeling you can set market value where ever you feel it should be, eh?

I know I'm over reacting to a stupid sandwich, but I was really hungry this morning. As I said, now I'm just grumpy. Of course that could be because I haven't had my coffee yet. I suppose I better head next door...

4 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

:-D <----

Above, that would be the theatre major who's serving you.

Laughing at you spending $5 per cup of coffee.

Thinking...he just spent on this swill what I'll make standing here for the next hour.

:-( <------

Above would be the theatre major going home to sit in his parent's garage with the car turned on.

(ahem)

Seriously? Take away? Um...ok...if by take away you mean I'll continue to take my business next door to 7-11 for my sandwich which I won't be able to get from you...

And hey...isn't that...get out...FARKING COFFEE they have too?

Suddenly Starbucks, I don't need you anymore.

That's one nice job of upselling there, Lou...

Unknown said...

Starbucks is posting losses? WTF? How can they have a store on every frelling corner selling things at a 5000% markup and still lose money? How much are the upper executives paying themselves to run the company into the ground... $100,000 per nanosecond?

You crack me up... complaining that they charge too much, the "evil empire" overtones about their pricing structure that come thru quite clearly, and yet you STILL went/go over there for your coffay.

Get one of those nifty plastic coffay cups with the lids (no, bad Monkeydiver, NOT from Starbucks) and one of those fancy coffay making doo-dads (admittedly very expensive, but stay with me... and no, again, NOT from Starbucks) then buy some tasty, trendy, expensive coffay beans (no no no.... NOT from Starbucks) and make the coffay yourself. I don't know for sure, but I bet even with the "initial investment" you'd still save monay over the course of a year. Plus, if you gang up with your co-workers and pitch in, you defray the cost of the machine, beans etc. You help the environment, you stick it to the man, you save monay, you don't get infected with their trendy-coffeeshop-cooties... win, win, win, win.

Now excuse me while _I_ go pay someone $7 for a tortilla filled with beans. (C'mon High horse, I'll get you one filled with hay...)

Sangediver said...

Make....coffee? Beans? Plastic cups??

I don't understand SS. What are you talking about?

Sounds like a lot of work when the cute blonde will simply hand me a toasty, cup of happiness.

Unknown said...

Ah... a cute blonde. Now I get it.

I'm hoping that "toasty cup of happiness" isn't a euphemism for something other than coffay.