Saturday, February 2, 2008

Virtual Wii-ality

The great DrHeimlich posted about a Wiimote Project on his blog a few days ago. Thanks to him I have spent the last 3 days attempting to turn my Wii into a VR machine. As of about 5 minutes ago, it's working! Mind you, this is after countless bluetooth, coding and driver problems not to mention the hours and hours on discussion boards.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Dr H is a bad man. Of course it's possible he innocently blogged about this not knowing that I would become obsessed over it. However, I choose to believe that he posted this just to fuel my obsession. It certainly can't be my fault I put my life on hold for this. Please Dr, in the future, can you clear any posts about do-it-yourself technology before posting (especially Wii related ones)? ;)

Anyway, I just got it to work on my 20" flatscreen and it's pretty cool. However, I can't wait to try it out on Ash's projector screen next Poker night. Hopefully I can find and build the cool glasses he uses by then, since it's a little silly holding the Wii sensor bar on your head. Although when don't you look silly playing the Wii?

Next on the project list? Johnny Lee's cool virtual finger tracking (straight out of Minority Report) and his multipoint interactive whiteboard.

Did I mention he's a bad man?

2 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

OMG.

YOU.

ARE.

A.

FREAK.

:-P

That being said...

I can't wait to try it. hehe!

DrHeimlich said...

Yeah, I do have to agree that you're a freak. But I want to play with your creation took, so I guess I can't say that too harshly. :-)