Friday, February 15, 2008

Italian Verbosity

A couple of nights ago we went to eat at a local Italian restaurant. At some point I went to the bathroom and noticed that instead of music there was a man teaching various Italian phrases (much like the Spanish one at Jose O'Shea's).

Anyway, I think this is a pretty good idea. Much better than most chain restaurants with their 4 Italian songs that are played over and over. Usually these "lessons" are simple, practical phrases like, "Where's the bathroom?", "How much is the bill?" The weird thing was I must have walked in near the end of the tape, because it was some pretty advanced stuff.

I forget the exact details of the phrase because it took me so much by surprise. However, it was something like, "Can you please tell me where the nearest bus station is so that I can go downtown to buy some Mongolian giant sunflowers for my sick great aunt that is missing her left big toe?"

OK that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I swear it was something along those lines, or at least something as useful. It was so long and pointless that I would have peed myself laughing, if I wasn't already peeing. I may have to go back and sit in the restroom for a while, just to get the actual phrase correct. Stay tuned...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

First there is Roland standing in the back of the Hanna Montana movies with his clipboard... now we have you sitting in the men's room for hours waiting for a particular phrase on their tape. I always told you I'm the normal one, but you never believe me.

Roland Deschain said...

Ok, so thus far the Hannah Montana gig makes me out to be a stalker/molester, and makes Sange out to be...a US Senator?

:-P

Dude. I'm glad I'm not a Senator.
They're total freaks. :D

Roland Deschain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DrHeimlich said...

I totally know which restaurant you were eating at! That language tape running in the bathroom tripped me out too.