Monday, May 26, 2008

And the Oscar goes to...

Tonight the Red Wings won game two of the Stanley Cup Finals. Nothing like winning with help from the refs eh?

Anyway, I had to make a comment about their goalie, Osgood. I have never seen a hockey player with acting skills like him. Tonight Pittsburgh's Petr Sykora clipped Osgood as he was behind the net, barely. Osgood threw his stick, fell over backwards, arms flailing like he was hit by a semi truck. Of course Sykora received a Goaltender interference call. New hockey rules state that no one is allowed within 10 feet of Chris Osgood for any reason. I don't have a huge problem with that, except maybe the uneven reffing that the Red Wings have been blessed with this season. My problem is that any other player would be called for diving with embellishing like that, but Osgood, being a Wing is immune.

Osgood's thespian side had already been seen earlier in the period when he was bumped by Malone, and again Osgood flailed.

We saw the same thing in Game 2 of the Western Finals, Dallas VS Detroit. Everyone saw the slash that Ribeiro made on Osgood. It wasn't until later that it was apparent that Osgood speared Ribeiro as he passed the crease. In any case that incident was a prime example of Osgood's acting skills. Ribeiro hit him in the chest with his stick. While that may sound bad, bear in mind the padding a goalie wears, with the heaviest padding in the chest. Despite that, Osgood dropped to the ice and proceeded to role around as if he had been shot.

Don't get me wrong, I don't condone the slash, but I also think it was understandable. Ribeiro just had the end of a stick shoved into his face. I'd be irritated too.

Unfortunately the crappy refereeing has ruined this entire playoff series for me. I'm still rooting for the Pens, because...well...

RED WINGS SUCK!

No comments: