Sunday, May 4, 2008

Drive by Edging

Today, I worked on our backyard, specifically helping my wife get her garden up and running. Of course a ton of people are doing the same, you can hear mowers and trimmers all over the neighborhood, but none really close. As time passes I start to notice that it sounds like one of these mowers is getting closer. I figured that I was just hearing a different mower, or I had misjudged what I had originally heard.

A few more minutes pass and my dog runs to the fence and starts barking like mad. At this same time I notice that the approaching machinery is right on the other side of the fence. So naturally I open the fence to have a look.

One of our neighbors was edging our lawn with a power edger! I was a little taken aback for a few reasons. First, I had just spent an hour or so the other day edging our lawn with a trimmer, a rather tedious task. My first thought was that I had apparently done such a bad job that this guy felt he needed to do it over. Secondly, I didn't know this guy. I know my next door neighbor quite well and wouldn't have been surprised to see him do something like this, since we shovel each other's sidewalks, mow a little of each other's lawns, and such. But I didn't know this guy from Adam.

Turns out that this guy decided to make good use of his edger and edged the whole gorram street. About an hour and a few dozen houses later, he quit. I'm still a little stunned at the kindness of the act. It was refreshing to see that there are still people that believe in being a good neighbor. Unfortunately I missed when he stopped and went inside, so I never found out which house he lives at. At some point I'll figure it out and find a way to thank him though.

Of course the jerk did miss the other side of my drive way...

2 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

I think he was probably playing with a new toy. Edged his entire yard and wasn't done using his new toy that he had to justify buying to his wife.

I think you should find that guy and encourage him to buy a snowblower this fall. ;)

Sangediver said...

No need. There's another (or maybe the same) neighbor that randomly snow blows the same street!