Friday, May 9, 2008

Snackie Cakes

Tonight I received my pre order copy of Barenaked Ladies' Snacktime. It's their newest album, and while it's all songs for children, I really like it.

Of course I'd like anything from the "Bear-a-nikid Lay-dee-yas". However, this album is definitely more fun than anything they've released since Gordon. Of course it should be, it is for kids after all, but I found myself loving every single song. Though there are certainly favorites. "Polllywog in a Bog" is one of their more catchy songs in a while, and both "Bad Day" and "Things" are simply touching.

A lot of the songs are homages to other great songs/artists, "Eraser" has a very cool nod to Queen. The album has hints of hard rock, folk, reggae, 50s bee-bop, polka, all mixed with simple and enjoyable Barenaked Ladi-ness. I think there may have even been some Proclaimers in there somewhere.

Plus I learned a little from it, I didn't know what the philtrum and frenulum were before this album, even after all my anatomy classes. Also, finally there's a challenging BNL Rock Band song in "Drawing"!

Not to mention, Best...ABC...song...ever!

No comments: