Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Go away giant scary demon horse...you scare me.

Relatively recently, Denver has decided to add some "flair" to the drive to and from the airport terminal. This piece of "art" is easily one of the creepiest things I've seen lately. I'm really not sure how this is supposed to make people feel welcome. With the vampire-like veins over it's body and the "I will eat your soul" look, it made me want to turn the car around. Maybe it's to make people feel better about leaving Denver.

Oh, and did I mention the damned thing's eyes glow red at night? Yep, nothing says "Welcome to Denver" like a demon ridden, fiery eyed, rampaging horse that will follow you home and devour your children.

What makes this worse is I'm sure the city of Denver spent a ton of taxpayer's money for this...thing. Fortunately, I don't live in Denver, but the concept irks me. It's not bad enough that the brilliant designers of DIA used a roofing material that they new would need to be replaced regularly, but now they're spending money on crap like this?

Though I do have to give the artist kudos for conning some city council member into approving this...

4 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

Um...let me make it a little creepier for you.

I wouldn't give the artist TOO much credit anymore - seeing as he's dead.

And oh, did I mention that he was killed in his studio? BY THIS SCULPTURE???

No, I'm not kidding. Read on.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com
/news/2008/feb/12/
mustang-ready-rise-dia/

Sangediver said...

This is how horror movies start. a couple of years from now people will be asking themselves, "Why, Dear god why didn't they notice it was birthed in BLOOD?"

"Why didn't they thinka bout the children?"

Roland Deschain said...

Seriously. I'm starting urban legends about every bad thing that happens at DIA from now on.

"It was the horse. He roams the plains at night, pissed that an airport has been built on his sacred grounds...killing and maiming and wrecking cars...you can hear him in the distance when your car is stuck on Pena Blvd in the snowstorms! Pray you never see him...."

Patentpendingpatentpendingpatentpending. :)

Steve said...

It is creepy and ugly. The first time I drove out to DIA it seemed almost surreal. Very remote, even now 10 years later. Security cameras everywhere. Weird place.