Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ad sense

Last night I saw yet another ad for a medication (the number of which may be a topic for another day). Anyway, this one was for Rozerem, a sleep aid. The ad has Abe Lincoln, a beaver and hard-hat diver telling the poor insomniac that they miss him in his dreams. I've seen the ads before, and actually kind of appreciate them for the creativity.

Last night was the first time I actually listened to the whole commercial though. I got a chuckle when they started listed "possible" side effects.

"Possible side effects include headache, drowsiness, fatigue, nausea..." etc, etc.

Really? A sleep aid that causes drowsiness and fatigue? Shouldn't this be the main effect, not just a side effect? If it is just a side effect, why would I take this drug when I could get the same effects as taking a Tylenol PM?

Of course this could be a side effect you feel the next morning. If this is the case, isn't that the same is if I hadn't slept all night? Again, why should I take this particular sleep aid? Maybe they're banking on the fact that insomniacs tend to be a little slower with their thinking.

I hate drug companies, they're a big reason our medical system is so screwed up. Pharmaceutical companies have buried more effective cures and remedies than the mafia has labor leaders. That's a rant for some other time though, must go "work" now...

2 comments:

DrHeimlich said...

Side effects of aspirin include pain relief. Use as directed.

hotdrwife said...

This reminds me of the commercials for one of the 'social anxiety' drugs. Paxil, maybe? Side effects included unexpected diarrhea. So, yea. You'll be comfortable in a social situation, but you'll shit yourself, too.