Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Terroritis and me

I've been infected. Despite all my better efforts, the government's scare tactics have gotten to me.

Yesterday a gentleman and his wife came into the store who happened to be Middle Eastern. They were looking for a boat/marine shop. There was nothing suspicious about them, but those Ass Clowns in DC have apparently done their job admirably, because my first reaction was mistrust.

What the frak is that about? I know they were simply looking for parts for their boat, and thought we (as a dive shop) would be able to help them find a marine store. Pretty damned straight forward.

After that disturbing moment, I mentally slapped myself, HARD, and pointed them to the nearest store I could find. It made me start thinking though. I'd like to think that I'm not prejudiced in any way, but apparently I've been exposed to enough "Terror Threats" and terrorist warnings (See here and here) that I'm automatically suspicious of anyone of middle eastern descent.

I wanted to apologize to them and anyone else that this might offend. 'Cuz it sure as shit offends me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with thinking anything! So you should not feel bad, you did the RIGHT thing by helping someone who needed it. Nothing more, nothing less. At the end of the day it's our actions, not our thoughts that define who we are. STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP ABOUT IT! Just keep on being who you are!!!!!! And keep yourself safe.